Oxytocin is known as The Love Harmone, people in the first stages of romantic attachment had higher levels of oxytocin
What is Oxytocin?
The term is well known as a “love hormone.” If your body releases the right amount of a specific hormone that is solely responsible for creating painkillers like hormones in your body while giving natural birth, is called as Oxytocin. This hormone is solely responsible for a natural/normal delivery.
We all make love hormones, but pregnant women make the most of it while they are carrying a baby in their womb or while breast feeding or while making the baby sleep. This is all related to these love hormones being produced in a woman’s body.
It is as important for a pregnant woman to produce this hormone of kindness, as is the breastfeeding. However, it all depends on the oxytocin levels of a woman. Depending upon their lifestyle, some might have higher levels of oxytocin whereas others might have less.
It is not a biological and circumstantial matter that we may not have the ability to influence. There are several ways through which one can increase the levels of oxytocin naturally to have proper delivery, breastfeeding and bonding experience.
Benefits of Oxytocin
- Oxytocin helps soften the cervix to allow natural delivery. The presence of this hormone in a female’s body, if in abundance, helps lessen the pain during a normal delivery. It acts as a painkiller and allows the cervix to loosen a bit so that normal delivery can be done with ease.
- It stimulates and triggers the beta-endorphins in the body.
- While a normal delivery is happening, we all know that the pressure that is created during the delivery makes the inner and the outer muscles contract and swell. This might go against each other and thus cause complications. But when oxytocin flows to the brain, it helps to clams down the nerves, thus helping to maintain a harmonious relationship between the brain and the uterus.
- As widely known as the “love hormone”, oxytocin is the only hormone that helps build the mother and the child bond.
- It is the only hormone that is present in a female’s body that induces a state of calmness in the mother while the baby is breastfeeding her. It also produces prolactin in the body.
Ways to increase Oxytocin during pregnancy
Now we all know that this so-called love hormone is extremely essential in a woman’s body, even the researches say that it is quite important for her during her pregnancy.
- Doctors’ advice to eat a handful of dates during pregnancy. It increases the production of oxytocin in the body. It also helps to ripen cervix for a pain-free delivery. Dates should be consumed at least three times a day.
- Eat healthy food and drinks lots of water. Though many hospitals do not allow the patient to eat solids a few hours before the delivery. But researches say that eat as and when you want.
- You must have seen the significance of hot or lukewarm water during delivery. Ever wondered why? The reason is that putting a woman under hot/lukewarm water helps to regain the initially slowed down delivery. It induces pain and opens up the muscles without contracting them.
These were a few tips to increase oxytocin in the body while and during pregnancy for pain-free delivery.